Okay! this might be a bit difficult to do the exact quantities of ingredients for this recipe because when I’m making crumble I have a habit of doing by eye and I often add or omit ingredients depending on what I’ve got in the cupboard or what takes my fancy at the time. THIS crumble was the BEST EVER CRUMBLE MIXTURE, this is how I think I made it!
5 large sticks of rhubarb (chopped into 1inch sections)
200g demerara sugar to sweeten
500g GF plain flour
150g butter (cubed)
200g caster sugar
handful of almonds
- Add the rhubarb and sugar to a saucepan, to this add 3tbsp water and heat gently until the rhubarb softens.
- Once cooked remove from heat and add to dish, leave to cool.
- Add the flour to a large bowl and to this add the butter, start to cut through the mixture with a round knife until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Blitz the almonds in a blender to make fine crumbs and add these to the crumble mixture.
- Add the caster sugar and ginger and mix thoroughly.
- This mixture will appear relatively dry but once cooked it will be light and airy.
- Top the cooled rhubarb with the crumble mixture and cook in an oven 180C/350F/Gas 4 for 35-40mins keep and eye on it to prevent the crumble from catching.
- Serve hot with lashings of custard or cream – also super scrummy cold with cream!