Oh yes I did! I just said best EVER trifle! Okay, it’s not got homemade custard in it, but it’s packed full with sherry soaked gluten free genoise sponge and glitter jelly – I know! – glitter jelly!
I belive trifles should be multi layered fun packed desserts, I love the fact that each spoonful can give you a totally different taste and texture sensation, I love the bits of soggy sponge that have soaked up the sherry and the sponge, I also love the sponge bits that have eluded sogginess and stayed dry. I love the set jelly compared to the smooth strawberry custard, then the set vanilla custard and the light cream topping, oh my, it’s sheer bliss!
To make the sponge I used my Genoise Sponge Mix that you may also have seen in my Swiss Roll. Incidentally, this sponge also freezes very well and as this recipe makes more than enough I’ve frozen half the batch to save for another day … gluten free Tiramisu me thinks!
As with the Swiss Roll I used a baking sheet to bake this sponge
8-10 trifle sponges
Sherry (amount to taste)
1 packet instant jelly (I used Hartley’s Strawberry Glitter Jelly)
1 packet instant strawberry custard
2 packets instant original custard
600ml double cream whipped to a soft dropping consistency
- Add all bar two of the sponges to the bottom of the bowl and drizzle over enough sherry to almost totally soak the sponge.
- Make up the jelly mix and pour over the sponges.
- With the two remaining sponges soak completely in sherry and add to the centre of the bowl in the jelly.
- Leave to set for 30 minutes in a fridge.
- Make up the strawberry custard and add to the set jelly, return to the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Repeat the process with the two packets of original custard mix, returning to the fridge (I did this overnight but can be for 30mins).
- Whip the cream to a soft dropping consistency being careful not to over whip. Add to the top of the trifle.
- Decorate to your taste.