I seem to be Queen of Gluten Free Cupcakes these days. Every time Lewis plays a football match I make sure that there are cupcakes for the victors … and the second place victors too! The trouble was they were getting a bit ‘samey’ so I decided (as I often do) to challenge my self to create all manner of edible artwork. I have to say, these Easter Cupcakes are super, and funnily enough they were so simple all thanks to my new toys aka, my sugar craft cutters I will definitely have to play with these some more. Something else worth mentioning is that I’ve made the Dairy Free on many, many occasion too, it really is a simple as swapping the butter for a dairy free alternative such as margarine. You may just need to add a little more icing sugar to the butter cream to achieve the right consistency for piping, but don’t be scared and play with it until you get the texture right for you.
- 150 g Unsalted Butter
- 150 g Caster Sugar
- 175 g Gluten Free Self Raising Flour
- 3 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 100 g Unsalted Butter
- 200 g Icing Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp hot water
- Fondant icing - various colours
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Add the butter and sugar to a mixing bowl and beat until smooth and light in colour.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat them into the mixture.
- Add the extract and flour, fold in gently at this point to prevent a heavy cupcake texture.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into 12 large cupcake/muffin cakes.
- Pop into the oven for 18-20 mins.
- Once a light golden brown and with a soft bounce to the touch. Remove and allow to cool completely.
- Ideally, for this type of decorated cupcake you do not want the cake to rise over the tops of the cases, if this does happen, simply cut the tops off .
- Combine the butter, icing sugar, extract and hot water in a large bowl, beat well until light and fluffy, add a little colouring of your choice.
- Add a little of the butter cream to each cupcake and smooth the tops flat to give you an even surface to decorate.
For these Easter cupcakes I've used sugar craft cutters which are ridiculously simple and super effective. Below are other decoration ideas you might like to try, by all means go ahead and try your own creations, I'd love to see them, so don't forget to send me a photo!
##Like this recipe? You’ll love these;
disclaimer: I’ve started using affiliate codes on my website again (needs must). If you click on any of the links in the post and make a purchase my family will benefit from a small % of that purchase at no extra cost to you.