I recently made my favourite Apple & Cinnamon Cake for Sunday dinner pudding [updated photos 2018, original post 2016], I had my parents coming over and I’d invited my Grandad too, he’s awesome, at 93 years of age he’s still full of beans and always cheerful. I wanted to impress him with my baking, not that I have to, he’s proud as punch already but my Nanny who sadly passed a few years ago now was a great baker so I have some impressive shoes to fill!
I actually made two puddings this day, the first being Plum & Peach Crumble and then the Apple & Cinnamon Cake. I opted to make both for selfish reasons really, I love crumble but the thought of not being able to enjoy mine with cream or custard made me pout. So I though a nice slice of cake would do me as well, and besides you can’t beat the combination of Apple & Cinnamon, talk about a match made in heaven!
This was also going to be my first cake using Organ’s Egg Replacer, it was a risk doing this for the first time when I was expecting guests but that’s the way I rock and roll, living life on the edge!
My recipe was actually inspired by an old book my mum gave me, in fact, it may even have belong to my Nanny. It’s now just a blue print to give me an idea of quantities, the main ingredients have changed beyond recognition. Poor Nanny would have wondered what on earth all these substitutions were in aid of!
As you’ve already guessed by the images, the bake was a success and everyone tried both puddings…apart from my dad, he doesn’t do plums in baking apparently!
Gluten Free and easily made egg and dairy free too. This Apple & Cinnamon Cake is a firm favourite of mine, it comes out delicious every time no matter what apple is in season. Why not try with a Bramley or a Cox, slightly different taste, same scrumptious results.
- 180 g dairy free butter
- 100 g light brown sugar
- 3 eggs flax seed egg [see notes]
- 200 ml milk alternative I used almond milk on this occasion
- 250 g self raising gluten free flour I use Fairy Flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 apples peeled and sliced
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp demerera sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4
- Prepare a 20cm round cake tin
Cream the sugar and butter until light and add the egg (or flaxseed eggs)
- Add the flour and cinnamon and beat to combine
Pour the milk into the batter a little at a time until you get a soft dropping batter, you may find you don't need all 200ml.
- Add 2/3 of the mixture to the cake tin.
- Cover the cake mixture with an even layer of apple slices, make sure they reach the edges.
- Pour over the last 1/3 of the cake mixture, don't worry if some apple still shows.
- Mix the demerera sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle over the top of the cake.
- Add to the oven and bake for 1 hour.
You can use a 400g tin of apple pie filling if you want a short cut and other spices for well too, try mixed spice or nutmeg?
Pin this Apple & Cinnamon Cake for later so you don’t loose it