This page contain affiliate links. Please refer to my Disclosures Page for more details.
I’ve been craving fish cakes recently. I love fish, I get it delivered on a monthly, or every other month basis, the recent deliver I had was an ice packed box filled with trout, haddock and halibut. The previous box was salmon and cod. Like I say, I. Love. Fish.
My family do not share my love of fish, so I’m always on my Todd with a separate meal to everyone else at dinner times. This means that my meals tend to be Fish en Papillote or fish baked in a paper bag! This type of cooking is simple, keeps in all the nutrients and prevents the rest of the food cooing in the oven being permeated with fishy smells!
This is all very well and good but it’s nice to ring in the changes and recently I’ve wanted to have fish cakes. Trouble is I can’t just reach for the shelf and go for convenience…I can’t have potato! We have a problem. Well, that’s to say we had a problem. I’ve just made the most delicious delicately fragrant fishcakes that are free from gluten, dairy and potato. presenting my Fennel Fish Cakes;
Never miss out again…
Sign up to my weekly Friday newsletter and not only get a FREE e-Book (currently my Gluten Free & Vegan Cookbook) but also get VIP subscriber discounts on free from goodies delivered to your door. Join me in my journey and learn to make anything gluten free.
Now in this recipe I’ve used a can of cannellini beans but you’ll get a similar result with other soft ‘milky’ pulses (prob not so good with chickpeas too bitty!)
Oh and if you’re a fan of these Fennel Fish Cakes you’re bound to love these Corned Beef Hash Cakes too, another favourite for the family.
Other mid week gluten free meal ideas
Gluten Free Fennel Fish Cakes Recipe
If you make it and like the recipe I would be eternally grateful if you popped back and commented leaving a star rating as this will tell search engines that this recipe is worth checking out and others will get to find it in searches.
Fennel Fish Cakes
- 1 450g tin of cannellini beans drained (keep the water for aquafaba if necessary)
- 1 medium fennel bulb chopped roughly
- 2 mild/hot green chillies
- 1 lime zest and juice
- 2 fillets fresh fish, I used trout in this instance make sure to remove bones with tweezers and skin, chop roughly
- salt and pepper to taste
- 100 g crispy gluten free bread crumbs see notes
- Simply add all the fish cake ingredients into a blender and blitz or pulse until it reaches the desired consistency. You may want to add just half the lime juice to begin with to see how loose the mixture is before adding all the juice. If you feel the mixture is too sloppy, fear not, add a teaspoon of gluten free plain flour.
- Divide the mixture into 4 and shape into a fish cake with your hands, try to avoid using flour, you need the fish cake to be sticky for the bread crumbs to hold.
- Place the fish cake in a bowl of the bread crumbs and coat the entire surface.
- To get a lovely golden colour dry fry in a hot frying pan for 5 mins each side and transfer (ideally still in the pan if it’s got a metal handle) to the oven on 200C/180C Fan for 20 mins.
- You can easily pop these into a Tupperware tub and freeze, to reheat allow to defrost for 60 mins before cooking.
I value every comment, more than you could know. Don’t be shy and leave a comment. If you share photos of your delicious creations, please do tag me or use the hashtag #Glutarama on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Subscribe to my email list so that you get NEW recipes straight in your mailbox PLUS a FREEBIE and access to some amazing gluten free DISCOUNTS
*disclaimer: I use affiliate codes on my website, the vast majority are to Amazon. If you click on any of the links or images in the post and make a purchase my family will benefit from a small % of that purchase at no extra cost to you, in fact, for full transparency, in 2020 I made my first £25, and recently in 2022 I reached my next £25 (Amazon don’t transfer the money until you reach £25). As you can see, it won’t make me a millionaire but it will treat me to a few coffees, Lord knows I need the caffeine!
Join my friendly Facebook Group
life’s a drama, gluten free doesn’t have to be….