These Gluten Free Corned Beef Hash Cakes came about after my mum and I had a clear out of my Gran’s larder. Since Grandpa passed away I’ve been preparing lunch and dinners for Gran twice a week to alleviate some of the pressure from mum who’s pouring all her time into caring for Gran.
We had a bit of a giggle going through the cupboards playing ‘best before date bingo’ the winner was a particularly fine vintage of pickled chestnuts from April 2015. Having never tried pickled chestnuts before I of course had to have a little nibble before they went into the bin and the jar was washed for recycling.
Take my advice, do not do this, I have proven it’s not worth the coughing fit so now you don’t have to!
Mum passed me a couple of tins of corned beef and said ‘you could make corned beef hash?’ What a lovely memory, mum used to make us both corned beef hash and corned beef and potato pie when we were younger. I wanted to relive that meal and introduce my two children to it.
Never miss out again…
Sign up to my weekly Friday newsletter and not only get a FREE e-Book (currently my Gluten Free & Vegan Cookbook) but also get VIP subscriber discounts on free from goodies delivered to your door. Join me in my journey and learn to make anything gluten free.
The little grey cells set to work on an idea for a recipe that I could eat, finding myself in the position that I can no longer tolerate potato. In the next few moments I came across a tin of butter beans. Tah-dah! The universe had heard me and presented me with the answer. Don’t you just love it when that happens.
I have made this recipe with both gluten free bread crumbs and brioche breadcrumbs too, both work equally well but the brioche is likely to have dairy or egg in it so be aware of this. Another recipe you may be interested in if you like the sound of this Corned Beef Hash Cake is my Fennel Fish Cakes; gluten free, dairy free and potato free!
Gluten Free Mid Week Meal Ideas
Gluten Free Corned Beef Hash Cakes Recipe
If you make it and like the recipe I would be eternally grateful if you popped back and commented leaving a star rating as this will tell search engines that this recipe is worth checking out and others will get to find it in searches.
Corned Beef Hash Cakes
- 400 g tin of corned beef
- 400 g tin butter beans
- 1 medium onion diced finely
- 2 slices gluten free bread alternatively you can use 2 GF brioche buns
- ¼ tsp mustard powder or ½ tsp English mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a food processor turn your bread into bread crumbs and set aside in a bowl or a high sided plate.
- Add your finely diced onion to a lightly oiled frying pan and fry until just starting to caramelise, set the pan aside and leave cooling whilst you continue with the method.
- Add the butter beans to the food processor and blitz until you have a hummus type consistency, spoon into a large bowl.
- Take the corned beef and crumble into the bowl with your fingers, leaving lumps the size of a pea, for example, will add a much more favourable consistency.
- Add 2 tablespoons of bread crumbs, the cooled onion, mustard and seasoning to the bowl of butter beans. Using your hands smush all the ingredients together until thoroughly combined.
- Divide the mixture into quarters and take each quarter in your hands moulding it into a burger shape approximately 1 inch think. If you have crumpet rings you could use one of these as a size guide.
- As this is an egg free recipe these corned beef hash cakes are not dipped before coating them in the breadcrumbs, however if you can tolerate eggs then please do feel free to whish up an egg and dip each cake in egg before coating in breadcrumbs.
- To cook transfer your Corned Beef Hash Cakes onto a baking sheet and pop into a preheated oven at 180°C Fan/200°C for 25mins or until a delicious golden brown. If they don’t colour as you’d like then pop them under the grill for the remaining cooking time to colour.
I value every comment, more than you could know. Don’t be shy and leave a comment. If you share photos of your delicious creations, please do tag me or use the hashtag #Glutarama on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Subscribe to my email list so that you get NEW recipes straight in your mailbox PLUS a FREEBIE and access to some amazing gluten free DISCOUNTS
*disclaimer: I use affiliate codes on my website, the vast majority are to Amazon. If you click on any of the links or images in the post and make a purchase my family will benefit from a small % of that purchase at no extra cost to you, in fact, for full transparency, in 2020 I made my first £25, and recently in 2022 I reached my next £25 (Amazon don’t transfer the money until you reach £25). As you can see, it won’t make me a millionaire but it will treat me to a few coffees, Lord knows I need the caffeine!
Fancy buying yourself a treat or a gift for a loved one this festive season, then go small…small businesses’ that is!
Join my friendly Facebook Group
life’s a drama, gluten free doesn’t have to be….