I tried about 5 Madeleines recipes before I finally got them right, the trick is to be patient, these little beauties love to relax before being baked! I love the fact that they have a laid back French attitude! I eventually settled for Michel Roux Jr.s recipe and adapted it to be a Gluten Free version. I recently made a batch of these for a couple of friends I was having over, one of the friends happened to be Mel, from Le Coin de Mel…in hindsight I could have baked a less stressful bake given the fact that Mel is French and was well rehearsed in the art of making Madeleines. On the plus side she offered to photograph them for me, so you’ll be forgiven for thinking that I’ve fianally got my s*** together and produced excellent quality images..nah, it’s Mel’s handy work!
One super tip Mel gave me was to rest your Madeleine batter for an hour and a half – yes really, that long, so I’m going to attempt mine again with a longer resting period, these were only rested 30mins.
This recipe is for 12-14 Madeleines but be warned, when your back is turned they have a habit of mysteriously disappearing from the cooling rack so I’ve learnt to make double, sometimes triple the amount just so that I get a look in too! Sadly these do not keep well but given the previous sentence I can’t imagine you’d have any left for another day!
- 2 Eggs
- 100 g Caster Sugar
- 100 g Plain Gluten Free Flour
- 1 Lemon Juice & Zest
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 100 g Butter Melted & Cooled
- Brush the Madeleine tin with melted butter (if you want a real authentic nutty taste you can melt a knob of butter in a pan until it just starts to change colour) dust tray with flour and tap off excess.
- Whisk together the eggs and sugar in a bowl until frothy and light.
Add your cooled butter and whisk again until thoroughly incorporated
- Add the flour and lightly fold in with the whisk
Finally, add the lemon juice and zest and leave the mixture for 1.5hrs ... be patient!
- Fill the Madeleine tin to the top of each mould.
- Bake for 10mins and enjoy the wonderful smells that omit from your oven!
Total - 200g but If making 12 - 16g each
I cannot stress how important it is to leave this mixture for at least 30mins it makes a huge difference and can literally lead to the rise or fall of your Madeleine's.