This post may contain affiliate codes, none of which will cost you a penny extra but may send a penny or two my way*
Due to popular demand I’ve developed these Gluten Free Stollen Bites which are the perfect mini treat to accompany a mulled wine or add to your festive party table. I have to admit that I have actually eaten a couple of the brands you find on the market, mainly the Aldi or Lidl ones as they don’t have dairy or egg in them so I totally get the need for people to have these back in their lives. But it also means that I can work on developing my recipe to make it as close to the real thing as possible and still be gluten free and vegan.
I’ve yet to work out a way to make the marzipan filling less dense although I do admit to having gotten close. In one of my more experimental moods I tried kneading the marzipan until it softened and then wrapping it in the stollen dough. This work pre-bake but post bake and cool down period and we’re back to a harder lump of marzipan (not a bad thing, I love marzipan anyway you present it to me!)
Gluten Free Christmas Gift Guide
I have managed to get closer to the softer consistency by breaking down the marzipan into lumps and adding to a bowl, then gently warming it in the microwave and adding some soya milk to loosen it. This does make it impossible to roll into the sausage shape to add to the stollen dough but it can be spooned onto the dough and wrapped to enclose in the same way.
I’ll leave the choice in your hands, the photos in this post are of the written recipe version, therefore the rolled marzipan not gooey marzipan. I would love to hear if you try the more fiddle version and what you think to it…did I get it right? Is it more like the original squishy version – do tell.
Never miss out again…
Sign up to my weekly Friday newsletter and not only get a FREE e-Book (currently my Gluten Free & Vegan Cookbook) but also get VIP subscriber discounts on free from goodies delivered to your door. Join me in my journey and learn to make anything gluten free.
Other recipes similar to this Gluten Free Stollen Bites that make the perfect gift idea
There seems to be an increase in homemade gift ideas this year which I for one am thrilled about. I don’t know about you, but I get so disheartened to see all the plastic tat in stores this time of year. Most of it likely to end in landfill. So the idea of making gifts, especially edible ones is a lovely idea.
These Stollen Bites look so pretty presenting in a little box with tissue paper and a bow but what about my Homemade Original Baileys for a gift idea, you can make this recipe and decant it into 4 small drinks jars for a mini tipple.
Another idea is to make my Brandy Chocolate Truffles; again these look so pretty in a little presentation box
For all Festive & Holiday Gluten Free Recipes, head over to my Christmas Recipe Collection— Rebecca, Glutarama
Gluten Free Stollen Bites Recipe
If you try and like the recipe I would be eternally grateful if you popped back and commented leaving a star rating as this will tell search engines that this recipe is worth checking out and others will get to find it in searches.
- 50 g caster sugar
- 25 g vegetable fat I use Trex
- 25 g butter or dairy free spread I use Pure plus extra for brushing
- 50 g gluten free breadcrumbs
- 75 g mixed fruit I always add an extra table spoon of candied peel
- 40 g ground almonds
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 0.5 tsp cinnamon
- 0.5 tsp clove
- 1 egg or 1 flaxseed egg 1 tbsp flaxseed in 50ml water
- 125 g gluten free self-raising flour
- 125 g marzipan rolled into a long snake shape about 2cm wide
- First, you’ll need to make your breadcrumbs, choose your usual gluten free bread and blend into fine crumbs, add the brandy, extract, egg or flaxseed alternative and fruit, leave to one side.
- In a mixer combine the caster sugar, vegetable fat and butter/dairy free spread until light in colour.
- Add the breadcrumb and fruit mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Change to a dough hook if you have one and now add the ground almonds and flour, the mixture should come together into a sticky but manageable dough.
- At this point you can keep for the dough for later and it will stay fresh in the fridge for a week wrapped in clingfilm/wax wrap
- Roll out your dough into a rectangle to approx. 1/1.5cm thick. To make it more manageable you may wish to divide the dough into two and roll two rectangles.
- Brush liberally with melted and cooled butter or dairy free spread and place your roll of marzipan in the centre.
- Fold the stollen dough over the marzipan like a mini sausage roll and place onto your greased/silicone baking tray.
- Brush again with butter or dairy free spread and pop into a preheated oven on 200°C/180°C fan for 10-12mins, your stollen may brown due to the butter you’ve brushed on the surface so make sure it doesn’t catch.
- Remove from oven and immediately brush with more dairy free spread/butter. Dust liberally with icing sugar, wait 5mins and if the fat starts to bleed through, dust again.
- Allow to cool completely before serving.
I really love to read your comments and feedback and will always comment back. Do drop a line in the comment section if you liked this post I would love to hear your thoughts, if you share photos of your delicious creations, please do tag me or use the hashtag #Glutarama on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Subscribe to my email list so that you get all my reviews and recipes straight in your mailbox PLUS a FREEBIE and access to some amazing gluten free DISCOUNTS
Don’t lose this delicious recipe in the great world wide web – pin it!
Each week I link up to these awesome linkies by other wonderful bloggers and recipe developers
*disclaimer: I use affiliate codes on my website, the vast majority are to Amazon. If you click on any of the links or images in the post and make a purchase my family will benefit from a small % of that purchase at no extra cost to you, in fact, for full transparency, in 2020 I made my first £25, and in 2021 I’ve clocked up £10 – so it won’t make me a millionaire but it will treat me to a few coffees, Lord knows I need the caffeine!
Join my friendly Facebook Group
life’s a drama, gluten free doesn’t have to be….