I adore rich fruit cake and I also adore marzipan, Christmas couldn’t come quick enough in my book to enjoy a slice of cake. So why I’ve never made a Simnel Cake before baffles me! On this occasion I’ve opted to use the quick and super easy Delicious Alchemy Fruit Cake Mix, I had a packet left over from Christmas and decided back then that this bake was going to be its final destination. If you have a little more time on your hands and a bigger number of tummies to fill then you can just as easily opt to make my own version of Rich Fruit Cake, but instead of using brandy use orange juice like I have here. Another super tip would be to soak your fruit overnight in orange juice, this will make the cake more moist and do away with the need to ‘feed’ the cake over several weeks.
To make this a Simnel Cake and not a Christmas Cake simply follow the additional method below;
The marzipan middle bit;
- roll out half a 500g packet of natural coloured marzipan to approx 1 cm thick
- Cut a circle approx 1 inch smaller than the size of your cake tin (this will prevent seepage)
- When you’ve made the fruit cake mix according to the instructions below add 1/2 the mixture to the tin
- place the marzipan disc onto of the mixture and top with the remaining mixture.
To Decorate your Simnel Cake
- using the other half of the 500g marzipan roll a further circle out to top the cake, using any excess marzipan to make the 11 marzipan balls to depict the disciples.
- Preferably using a cooks gas lighter gently heat the marzipan to get the beautiful toasted effect. If you have no lighter then you can pop it under the grill but you may not get an even toast.
5″ Rich Fruit Cake Ingredients
1 650g packet Delicious Alchemy Christmas Cake Mix
For larger 7″ Rich Fruit Cake using my own recipe click here
This post contains affiliate links, you won’t be charged a penny extra but if you do click the link and make a purchase, Glutarama will get a few pennies – Thank you x