We love Rhubarb Crumble, we love any fruit crumble, we love it so much I can sometimes decide at the last minute to make a crumble for supper. I can’t remember the last time I religiously measured out the ingredients to make a crumble thought. The point I’m slowly getting to is that it might be a bit difficult to do the exact quantities of ingredients for this recipe however, THIS crumble was the BEST EVER CRUMBLE MIXTURE. I want to share this awesome crumble with you so here goes…this is how I think I made it!
A firm family favourite of ours, Lewis and I love it the most - true crumble fans!
- 5 large sticks of rhubarb (chopped into 1 inch pieces)
- 200 g demerara sugar - sweeten to taste
- 3 tbsp water
- 500 g gluten free plain flour
- 150 g dairy free butter
- 200 g caster sugar
- handful of almonds
- tsp ginger
- Add the rhubarb and sugar to a saucepan, to this add 3tbsp water and heat gently until the rhubarb softens.
- Once cooked remove from heat and add to dish, leave to cool.
- Add the flour to a large bowl and to this add the butter, start to cut through the mixture with a round knife until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Blitz the almonds in a blender to make fine crumbs and add these to the crumble mixture.
- Add the caster sugar and ginger and mix thoroughly.
- This mixture will appear relatively dry but once cooked it will be light and airy.
- Top the cooled rhubarb with the crumble mixture and cook in an oven 180C/350F/Gas 4 for 35-40mins keep and eye on it to prevent the crumble from catching.
- Serve hot with lashings of custard or cream - also super scrummy cold with cream!