Gluten Free Mince Pies – with an orange twist, what’s the twist? Last year my Mum used a different recipe to make her home made mince pies, they were divine and I knew I had to recreate them gluten free. The pastry was a sweet crust with a deep hint of orange – sublime! This is super simple so no excuses, everyone should be making them!
I make my own orange concentrate , follow the link to make your own with this easy peasy guidance, alternatively use a good quality orange extract, try not to use a flavouring if you can…extracts are the ‘real thing’, trust me!
These mince pies are a step above your average mince pies, adding an orange concentrate makes these so much more decadent, a true indulgent treat for the festive time of year
- 200 g plain GF flour
- 90 g butter
- 25 g caster sugar
- 25 g icing sugar (plus a little extra for sprinkling on top)
- 3 egg yolks (keep the whites for brushing)
- 1 tbsp orange concentrate - easy peasy guidance on how to do this here
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 large jar ready made mincemeat
- Sift the flour into a bowl, make a well in the middle and add all the remaining ingredients.
- Using a rounded knife cut through the mixture until it starts to come together and form breadcrumb clumps.
- If necessary add a little more flour if the mixture seems to sticky to handle.
- Turn onto the work surface and knead until smooth.
- Wrap in cling film and chill for at least 30mins
- When chilled carefully roll out to the thickness you desire, cut the rounds and fill with mincemeat, if you wish cut shapes to decorate.
- Top Tip: if you plan to pop lids on your mince pies, remember to pierce a little hole to allow the steam to escape, that way you won't get seepage around the sides.
- Brush the tops with the beaten egg white and add a sprinkle of caster sugar.
- Pop into the oven at 190C/375F/Gas 5 for 10-12 minutes
Love these Mince Pies? then you’ll love these other festive treats;