This page contain affiliate links. Please refer to my Disclosures Page for more details.
This is an edited and updated version of my Persimmon Fruit Cake recipe. Typically persimmon (or Sharon Fruit) are sold in packs of three and whenever I fancied making this cake it annoyed me that I’d have to buy two packs to achieve it.
That made me wonder if any one else had seen my Persimmon Fruit Cake and thought exactly the same? I decided to do something about it, plus it also meant I could at long last re-shoot the cake with my newly developed photography skills. I’ve also had a dabble with reducing the sugar content and making it vegan too (the cake in the photo’s is a vegan version, just to prove it can be done!).
If you decide Persimmon isn’t the fruit for you, then you may be interested in some other fruit cake recipes I’ve created free from such as my Apple Cake, Apple and Cinnamon Cake or Bara Brith (Welsh fruit cake made with tea)
Here’s the original post with the updated Persimmon Fruit Cake recipe and photos – enjoy.
I do like Persimmon fruit once in a while and keep trying to introduce Bethany and Lewis to them but with little success. They say the fruit is too sweet, as if there was such as thing! I appreciate the texture isn’t to everyone’s liking and the skins are the waxy type but still, these are beautifully aromatic with a unique flavour. Recently these fruits were on special offer and I got carried away with the lure of the bargain, one week later and I was left with 4 fruits that were on the edge of over-ripe. I had a rummage on Google and found a handful of recipes that I had no idea existed but none that were gluten free so I did and bit of this, added a bit of that and am pleased as punch with this recipe. The cake is quite dense but is oh so moist and delicately perfumed by the Persimmon purée and a definite must-try for anyone familiar with the fruit or not.
Gluten Free Persimmon Fruit Cake Recipe
If you make it and like the recipe I would be eternally grateful if you popped back and commented leaving a star rating as this will tell search engines that this recipe is worth checking out and others will get to find it in searches.
Persimmon Fruit Cake (Sharon Fruit)
- 300 g gluten free plain flour (I use Free From Fairy flour)
- 125 ml dairy free milk (I use soya)
- 200 g soft dark brown sugar
- 2 egg(s) (for vegan version use 2 tbsp ground chia/flax seeds
- 3 persimmons (cut into quarters)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp psyllium husk powder (optional)
- To make the Persimmon puree cut off the tops and blend until smooth, I’ve made with peeled fruit (the skin can be very hard a waxy) and I’ve been lazy and not bothered to peel…to be fair, I can’t tell the difference so it’s up to you!
- In a large bowl or mixer, add the puree, eggs, sugar, vanilla and milk or dairy free alternative and mix until aerated and colour turns a lighter shade.
- Sift all the dry ingredients into the bowl and beat until combined.
- Pour into a prepared cake tin, I used a ring mould, you can use an 8″ tin but this is a dense cake and the middle will take sometime too cook so if necessary you will need to cover with tin foil.
- If baking in a ring mould, place on a baking sheet in the oven on 160C/325F/Gas 3 for 50 minutes. I have not baked this in a cake tin yet but would imagine a longer time necessary.
- Allow to cool for 5 mins before gently removing from the ring mould onto a cooling rack, then allow to cool completely before dusting with icing sugar (other ideas below)
*disclaimer: I use affiliate codes on my website, the vast majority are to Amazon. If you click on any of the links or images in the post and make a purchase my family will benefit from a small % of that purchase at no extra cost to you, in fact, for full transparency, in 2020 I made my first £25, and recently in 2022 I reached my next £25 (Amazon don’t transfer the money until you reach £25). As you can see, it won’t make me a millionaire but it will treat me to a few coffees, Lord knows I need the caffeine!
Join my friendly Facebook Group
life’s a drama, gluten free doesn’t have to be….