I go to Pilates on a Monday, what the hecky-thump has that got to do with Apple Cake I hear you say! Bramley’s, lots of them! Our teacher has a fab tree in her garden where her studio is and on the way out on Monday she said to us to help ourselves, everyone else passed on the offer … I asked for a carrier bag or two!
Now I have oodles of Bramley’s and lots of scrummy ideas as to what I should do with them. Enter my Apple Cake. Super simple to make and if you double the ingredients (I had to on this occasion to use up the apples) big enough to feed a small army! I’ve used a roasting tin in the past to bake this cake with double the ingredients; about 25 x 35cm should do it. Otherwise this specific recipe fits a square baking tin 20 x 20cm.
Gluten Free Apple Cake
- 500 g Bramleys (or eating apples)cored , peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp sugar not necessary if using eating apples
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 eggs
- 125 g caster sugar
- 125 g GF self raising flour
- 125 ml vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- sugar to sprinkle on top
- Add the sliced apples to a large bowl and to this add the 4tbsp sugar (if using Bramleys), cinnamon and lemon juice and zest. get your hands in there and toss the slices until they're covered in the mixture.
- In another large bowl beat the eggs and caster sugar until thick and creamy, add the oil, vanilla and continue to beat until combined.
- Add the flour and beat to combine into a thick silky cake batter.
- Pour half the cake batter into the prepared square baking tin, then using half the apples add a layer to cover the mixture.
- Pour over the remaining cake mixture and repeat the apple pattern with the remaining apple slices. Sprinkle with sugar to taste.
- Bake in oven on 170C/150C Fan for 40 mins
- Loosen from the edges and allow to cool totally before turning out.
Psst, don’t lose my Apple Cake, Pin it!
Like the look of this Apple Cake? We’ll you’ll love these;
And one last thing! I’ve linked my Apple Cake with these other awesome bloggers pages, go check them out
disclaimer: I’ve started using affiliate codes on my website again (needs must). If you click on any of the links in the post and make a purchase my family will benefit from a small % of that purchase at no extra cost to you.