Gluten Free Self Saucing Lemon Pudding
This recipe for gluten free self saucing lemon pudding is very similar to my gluten free self saucing chocolate pudding. This is one of those true classic comfort food puddings and is best enjoyed on a cold winter’s eve. However, having said that I’ve also eaten this cold from the fridge so don’t think it’s just a winters pud, oh no!
And while I’m on the subject of cold pudding, it’s worth noting that this pudding is just as delicious the next day, or day after that and can easily be reheated in the microwave so don’t let any go to waste.
I’ve said it before, I’m not the world’s biggest chocolate fan and would much rather scoff jelly beans or something sweet and chewy! So the idea behind this gluten free self saucing lemon pudding was to feed a craving I had for a sweet pudding with a delicious zing to it. Of course if you prefer your puddings with less zing add more sugar, more zing, add less. It really is that easy.
Different ways to serve my Gluten Free Self Saucing Lemon Pudding
As this pudding self sauces, you could simply have it on its own, but come on, what’s a pudding without lashings of custard. To make cheap dairy free custard I use Birds Custard Powder and add sugar and soya milk to taste. While I do like the ready-made dairy free custards out there, I find that most of them don’t like being heated up and can turn quite watery. With my trusty old Birds I am in control and can make it as thick or as runny as I wish.
My kids love to have squirty cream with most puddings so that would probably be their top choice but if I’m not in a custard mood then it has to be cream (soya cream in my case). If you have other ways you love to eat your puddings and if you make my gluten free self saucing lemon pudding I’d love to know how you eat yours? Feel free to comment below, I love to hear from my readers.
Other recipes that are similar to this Gluten Free Self Saucing Lemon Pudding
Here’s a thought, how about my Gluten Free Swiss Roll made with Granny’s Quick Lemon Curd from Fab Food 4 All. There’s also my Easy Gluten Free Lemon Cheesecake for you to try your hand at, it really is very easy indeed. How about this Gluten and Dairy Free Lemon and Polenta Cake by Free From Fairy. Finally, stop the press and hold onto your hats, this Lemon, Ginger and Dark Chocolate Tart from the Gluten Free Alchemist is a right show stopper, prepare to be amazed!
A delicious alternative to the chocolate version, this self saucing lemon pudding has a delicious citrus bite with zest running throughout the light sponge and a lemony sweet sauce hidden beneath. This is not only gluten free but also easy to make vegan too, so free from eggs and no dairy.
- 60 g dairy free spread or butter if you like
- 150 g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp ground chia seeds
- 200 ml soya milk or your favourite dairy free alternative
- 160 g self raising gluten free flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 lemons zest only
- 100 g caster sugar
- 2 lemons juice from both lemons that you took zest from
- 150 ml Soya milk
- In a mixer or large bowl cream together the dairy free spread or butter with the caster sugar until light a fluffy.
- Add the chia seeds and lemon zest and repeat beating together.
- Pour in the milk or milk alternative and beat rapidly, the sponge batter will probably appear curdled at this point, don’t worry, this is normal.
- Add the self raising flour and baking powder and beat to a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into a well greased pudding dish, you’ll need a 2pt pudding dish for this recipe.
- In a jug measure the caster sugar and add the lemon juice, top up to the 200ml mark with soya milk (approx. 150ml) and stir thoroughly to combine until the sugar dissolves.
- Pour the lemon sauce over the top of the sponge batter, it will look an awful mess, don’t panic, this is fine!
- Pop into a preheated oven at 180°C or 160°C fan/350°F/Gas Mark 4 for 30-35 minutes, the pudding will be ready, when the sponge is springy to the touch and the sauce beneath bubbles, if you’ve not baked in a glass dish you’ll see the sauce bubbling up the sides of the dish.
Don’t forget it, pin it!
Click to save my Gluten Free Self Saucing Lemon Pudding
And one last thing! I’ve linked my Gluten Free Self Saucing Lemon Pudding with these other awesome bloggers pages, go check them out
disclaimer: I’ve started using affiliate codes on my website again (needs must). If you click on any of the links in the post and make a purchase my family will benefit from a small % of that purchase at no extra cost to you.