I came up with this recipe for Blueberry Frangipane Tarts because I adore bakewell tart, if you’ve not tried the real thing from Bakewell in the peak district then you’ve missed out my friend. Of course in recent years, due to my egg and dairy intolerances, I’ve not been able to eat one of my all-time favourites (my first love is the humble Pumpkin Pie).
I created havoc recipe developing in my kitchen recently and I’m pleased to say that I’ve cracked it. As always I use Vicki Montagues shortcrust pastry recipe, I hold my hands up, she’s the master of pastry (never been my strong point) and quite frankly I don’t see the point in using any other recipe, you can see her original recipe for gluten free shortcrust pastry here.
This recipe makes 12 Blueberry Frangipane Tarts and although I’ve not done it yet, it would make a large tart if you wished, may I recommend a lattice across the top if you have any leftover pastry…little miss bossy boots, can’t help myself!
- 200 g plain flour I use free from fairy flour
- 50 g margarine
- 50 g lard/trex
- 50 g caster sugar
- 1 egg flaxseed egg: 1tbsp flaxseed and 3tbsp water
- 100 g blueberries
- 60 g dairy free spread
- 60 g caster sugar
- 60 g self raising flour I use fairy flour
- 1 egg as above for flaxseed version
- 30 ml milk alternative I used almond milk
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Measure the flour and both fats into a bowl, using a pastry handle or your fingertips rub the fat into the flour until you get breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Add your egg or flaxseed egg (1tbsp flaxseed with 100ml cold water)
- Begin to bring the pastry crumbs together with a wooden spoon and then tip onto a kitchen surface.
- You have to knead the dough for a while to bring it together but have faith it will come together and it’s so worth it.
- Once rolled into a ball pop into some clingfilm or a sandwich bag and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes
- Make your flaxseed egg (if baking the egg free version) and set aside.
- Add the spread and sugar to a bowl and beat until light in colour.
- Add a spoon of the flour and combine then add the ‘egg’ once again beat well to combine.
- Add the rest of the flour and enough milk until you get a smooth dropping consistency.
- Finally add the almond extract
- To build the tarts simply roll the pastry (knead for a minute first to prevent cracks) cut 10cm circles and line your tart tin.
- Divide the blueberries between the 12 tarts
- Spoon your frangipane batter over each tart, don’t worry if you’ve not completely covered the blueberries.
- Pop into the oven on 200°C/180°C fan for 10-12 minutes.
- Once gently browned, and the sponge is springy to the touch, remove and cool.
- To finish dust lightly with icing sugar and enjoy!
As mentioned above I use Free From Fairy’s flour and recipe for pastry, again the link for that is here.
Don’t forget it, pin it!
Click to save my Blueberry Frangipane Tarts
And one last thing! I’ve linked my Blueberry Frangipane Tarts with these other awesome bloggers pages, go check them out
disclaimer: I’ve started using affiliate codes on my website again (needs must). If you click on any of the links in the post and make a purchase my family will benefit from a small % of that purchase at no extra cost to you.
My Blueberry Frangipane Tarts feature as Bake of the Week over on Casa Costello